The founder of Chronic Dev, a team of hackers dedicated to jailbreak and unlock everything with an Apple logo on it, has revealed on Twitter that someone has managed to unlock the iPhone 4S without actually having to jailbreak first.
The person in question, going by the screen name of danielscaleb, apparently found a bug in Apple’s iOS 5 that you can take advantage of and unlock the newest iPhone model.
“After a little playing around, I confirmed that a certain iOS 5 bug leads to an unlock,” danielscaleb writes. “Note, this will only work on GSM models.”
Apparently an untethered jailbreak is not required. In fact, not even a tethered jailbreak is necessary to achieve this, according to the instructions.
“I’m going to figure out CDMA models next,” adds danielscaleb. “Basically, you’ll need a GSM iPhone 4S, an AT&T SIM card, and a T-Mobile Micro SIM. Also, you could actually mess up your cellular radio doing this, though its very unlikely.”
The steps required to achieve the unlock, posted over at pastebin.com, are reproduced below.
We take no responsibility if you mess up your device by proceeding with the hack. This news piece is solely for informational purposes (basically, that’s the definition of news).
1. Insert original carrier AT&T SIM card
2. Dial 611 for AT&T customer service hotline and drop the call
3. Turn on Airplane Mode
4. Take out AT&T SIM card
5. Insert T-Mobile SIM card
6. Make sure WiFi is off ( also tap on ‘Forget this Network” to make sure it doesn’t connect automatically later)
7. Switch off Airplane Mode and iPhone will search for network. This is followed by the Apple splash screen appearing.
8. Activation Required will be displayed on the screen
9. EDGE network will activate automatically – notice the ‘E’ on the top left corner of the screen
10. Wait for about 20-30 seconds and turn off the phone
11. Turn on iPhone and the same Activation Required screen will be displayed
12. When you see one signal bar, tap on Use Cellular Connection
13. Eject SIM card
14. Activation Required screen will be displayed the second time
15. Insert SIM card