Next year, Apple will unveil its iPad 3. Only an event of apocalyptic proportions would prevent the tablet’s release. History tells us we can expect iPad 3 sometime in the first quarter — but exactly when? And will it include a retina display? And will there be two different models?
If you enjoy your New Year’s Eve cocktails with an extra shot of speculation, check out our iPad 3 rumor and report roundup below. We didn’t originate these stories, folks. We’re just bundling them up in one tidy little package for your own scrutiny and reality-checking.
The Hardware: What Are the Rumored Specs?
- The iPad 3 could be 4G and use Qualcomm’s LTE Gobi 4000 chip, according to CNET. Apple uses Qualcomm to supply the 3G chips in its iPhones. Digitimes says the new tablet is also expected to use a quad-core A6 processor, an upgrade from the A5 in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.
- A “retina display”-level screen is expected to finally arrive on the iPad with Apple’s next launch. The 9.7-inch display is expected to boast a 2048×1536 resolution, according to DisplaySearch analyst Richard Shim.
- The display is also expected to utilize a different kind of technology than past iPads: indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) — this in order to increase resolution to full HD. Jefferies analyst Peter Mizek suggested Apple would be using a modified version of IGZO, as this technology would allow the device to be thinner since it wouldn’t need dual-bar LED backlighting.
- iLounge, on the other hand, expects the iPad 3 to be “modestly thicker” (0.7 mm) than its predecessor.
- The Wall Street Journal reported in November that Sharp would be making the displays for Apple’s next-generation iPad (and that Sharp already supplies displays for iPhones). Digitimes says that both Sharp and Samsung will be producing the high-resolution displays, whose dimensions are the same as the iPad 2’s.
- iPad 3 could have up to a 14,000 mAh battery.
iPhone and iPad rumors in the past, one thing is pretty clear: Nobody really knows what to expect of Apple’s next big iDevice until it actually launches.
But the iPad 3 is coming, and it’s sure to steal the hearts of Apple fanboys, and stoke the fury of Apple critics.